Thursday 21 February 2008

Post Office Closures

From: LONDON ASSEMBLY John Biggs AM
Dear Resident,


Post Office Limited are currently consulting on proposals to close 15 post offices in City and East constituency, across Tower Hamlets, Newham and Barking & Dagenham. I recognise the vital role that Post Office plays in the social and economic life of local communities. I am very worried that at a time when we are seeking to regenerate poorer areas of London that local shopping parades will be hit by the loss of an important local service which attracts shoppers to use their local shops and facilities.

I am particularly concerned that the criteria for access to Post Offices has been downgraded in London - previously deprived communities in London had to be within a half mile of a post office. Now this has been reduced to 1 mile.

Thank you to everyone who took part in my survey on this issue last year. I would very much appreciate it if you could take five minutes to fill in my online survey at http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=2l6y6gd769uk2ug398579
There is a six week consultation period ending on 2 April 2008. I want to know your views on these proposals so I take them up with Post Office Ltd.

Regards,
John Biggs AM Assembly Member for City and East London

No comments: