Wednesday 6 May 2015

Barking's hidden cycle storage

Take a look at the upper floor of the building containing the dentists in this view https://goo.gl/maps/ZvmRQ. I think these are the bike racks of building 5, as it's referred to in the travel plan helpfully sent to me by a potential resident. There are 233 of them according to the travel plan.

Go down the black and white path alongside the building and you will see an unmarked door leading to a stairs, secured by some kind of electronic lock.

Photos:







Next take a trip to Axe St and go down the service road next to the white block of flats - no 87 Axe St or "building 4". On the left you will see a low white building secured by a gate. I believe this is a bike store - capacity 40 according to the travel plan, though it looks like it's being used for rubbish.

Photos:


It seems to me that residents do not know about these facilities. They should be bought into use either for residents or for local workers, or even anyone who wants to use one.


3 comments:

Lionheart said...

The 'Bike Shed' was always mentioned in the plans for the development but it's implementation has not been obvious to me. These pictures change that.

http://www.ibcdm.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Barking-town-square-phase-2.pdf

Lionheart said...

Here is a reference to building 5 'Bike Shed' giving the floor area.

http://www.whowithwhat.com/company/BuildingDetail.php?name=Barking%20Central%20Phase%202

cardinal_1962 said...

I've been campaigning for bike storage in new developments for years and I knew there was some provision in the town centre developments. It had never occurred to me to follow up whether the parking is available to use and being used. I suppose I just assumed I would find out, but if the shed off Axe St has established use as a rubbish tip, undoing it is likely to be an issue. And I wonder what powers the council has or can take to force these facilities to be used onlu for their intended purpose.