Friday 5 June 2015

Local Group Vox Pop - Barking & Dagenham

Prompted by the article in the Summer 2015 London Cyclist magazine, sub-headed 'LCC members explain how they got involved with their local groups and what they most enjoy about it'. I thought I'd do a vox pop on myself, using the same questions, but with no editor limiting the word count!

What is your role within the group?

What isn't? The answer to my question is that I'm not the treasurer, but any other named role you can think of, that's me. It's not to say others don't help, but no-one else apart from me and our treasurer has taken on a named role.

How long have you been involved?

In LCC 24 years this year.

What motivated you to join your group?

My older brother told me about LCC in about 1990 and from what I can remember I joined straight away. I was already campaigning. Then I met David Flintham who was running the B&D branch and the Havering branch as one. David persuaded me to run the B&D branch separately. I remember he referred to my "obvious skill and experience". Flatterer.

In your opinion, what's the best thing your group has ever achieved?

Possibly the input the the London Cycling Guides now published by TfL. That said, we have seen a sea change in the official attitudes to cycling in the last few years. Can we claim to be part of that?

In a typical month, what sort of activities do you get up to as part of your role?

Reporting potholes and other road defects, checking the press for new developments / street works to ensure they are cycle friendly. Checking the actual streetscape to see if it is cycle-friendly, especially where the plans said it would be. Updating www.meetup.com with any rides / events in or near the area. Reporting abandoned bikes to the council and to Gascoigne Cycling Centre for intended rcovery and re-use. Updating Facebook. Being the liaison between the LCC office and the branch.

What bike do you ride and how long have you been cycling?

I have a Dawes Streetwise Nexus, much of which dates back to 1996, and a Brompton M3, from this century. I have been riding for over 40 years.

What's the best thing about cycling in your borough?

I would say bikes on trains. Although we are served by The Underground, our railway lines are not under ground (except for the Channel Tunnel Rail Link!). Bikes are allowed on trains on all lines serving the borough. This makes getting out of the built up area with your bike easy (outside peak times).

And the worst thing?

The hills. No  - joking - there aren't any. I would say the severance caused by the A13, A406 and A12 trunk roads.

What would you say to get people involved?

More members of LCC means more campaigning weight and - we hope - a better deal for cycling - and this applies at branch level too. Eyes and ears on the ground in as many parts of the borough would improve our knowledge of what's goig on as it affects cycling.

No comments: