Wednesday 16 May 2007

Congestion on no 5 Bus Route

According to the Barking & Dagenham Post (16 May 2007) TfL have decided that "there is not a significant problem" on this route.

GLA Member John Biggs (whose constituency includes B&D) has asked people to contact him if they have changed to driving instead of using the No 5, because of the overcrowding.

It may be that people have also switched to less convenient and/or slower public transport routes, too. John Biggs doesn't ask about this, according to the Post article, but I'd suggest you let him know.

http://www.bdpost.co.uk

John Biggs
GLA
City Hall
The Queen's Walk
London SE1 2AA

Telephone: 020 7983 4350
Email: john.biggs@london.gov.uk

1 comment:

JohnBiggs said...

I have been working with residents for extra buses for Route 5 since June last year. My representations had some success when capacity was increased in November 2006. Unfortunately, this was not sufficient to ease the problems. I have continued to push Transport for London (TfL) for extra capacity. I have supported the local newspaper's campaign which asks for the same thing, and I presented their petition to the Mayor and TfL in July.

I met with TfL again a couple of weeks ago about the continuing problems with overcrowding on this route. Further to my continual requests for the capacity and frequency to be reviewed, TfL confired that they carried out new surveys on the routes in early September. They surveyed capacity on buses throughout the day between Barking and Becontree Heath on three separate days. They explained that they waited for the school term to start before carrying out these assessments, to ensure that the buses were as full as they were likely to be.

I hope to hear the results of these surveys in the next few weeks, and I will keep you informed.

John Biggs AM
Assembly Member for City and East London