Tuesday 27 May 2008

Air free tyres, tyre sizes

http://www.airfreetires.com/

Such things as air free tyres always - rightly - attract a lot of interest. I can't comment on the quality of the products here, but be very careful of the sizing information here - much of it is wrong. I've come across someone who bought 37-305 tyres fro his Brompton. The only reason he didn't realise they won't fit is that the poor so-and-so has had his bike nicked. I found out about it when he tried to sell his tyres.

The website claims that 37-305 tyres are a substitute for 16 x 1 3/8 tyres. Nonsense! This can be clearly seen if we stick to the only reliable yet undeservedly least familiar tyre sizing system - the ISO one, in which 16 X 1 3/8 tyres are 37-349. The large number is the diameter at the bead and as is obvious they are 44mm larger that the 305s. The smaller number is the width of the tyre - not so critical, but its probably best to buy the same size

1 comment:

Rachel Coburn said...

Be very careful about buying anything from Airfreetires.
Please look them up in Google. You will find a long list of people who have ordered tires and never received them.
Air free tires is run by Hugh Waters. He says on his site that it takes four weeks for custom orders. I've been waiting for 8 weeks. They also say they return calls and next day and that you can look up your order info. I've never been able to get my order info. Hugh Water's company has replied only twice to the 14 calls, 1 certified letter, and 2 faxes I sent them. I've asked for a refund, but instead of responding promptly as promised in his website, airfree has yet to tell me when I will get my money back.
Airfreetires has 19 consumer complaints from the BBB this year alone.
The technology my be great, but airfreetires is not the company to buy from.