Thursday 29 May 2008

Wantz Library to close? New Rush Green Library?

The Barking and Dagenham Post (May 28, p 11) reports on plans to close Wantz Library and build a new Library at Rush Green on the site of Barking College *. The usual complainers are there saying how it will be further for them to go, without mentioning the idea that the new library will be NEARER for some people. One person even said "libraries should be within walking distance". I'm not sure how far she means by that, but I'm sure it would mean a lot more libraries than the 12 we have now.

There is a Library at Rush Green, though, which I assume will also be closed - the Post says the new library "will replace an older branch" [my emphasis]. Perhaps they've got it wrong. There will also of course be the new library at Heathway. And so the plot thickens, because the council website says that "library will replace a couple of smaller libraries in Dagenham" [my emphasis]

* Barking College, Dagenham Road, ROMFORD - my favourite confusing address!

No comments: